MP3 is short for MPEG (Moving Pictures Experts Group) Layer – 1 and is a compressed audio format that allows for smaller file sizes with similar audio quality to PCM WAV format, the format found on standard music CDs. The MP3 is very common, more so because of its practicality and easy manipulation.
MP3 compresses WAV audio to several times smaller than the original size. Files in WAV format are great in file size, with average size being 50MB. Since it is so large, it is hard to send WAV files through email or offer them for download on the Internet.
WAV files can be made smaller and converted to MP3 format through a process called encoding. When MP3 is converted to WAV, the process is called decoding. When MP3 is decoded to WAV, there is no improvement in sound quality, the file merely increases in size and can be read by common CD players. WAV format is essential for editing sound files.
Types of MP3 to WAV Converters
- MP3-2-Wav Converter – is free MP3 to WAV decoder with a friendly interface. The software convert’s MP3 files into WAV files and works with the MP3 File Editor working under Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP.
- MP3 Wave Converter – allows users to easily convert wave files into the MP3 file format or convert mp3 files to WAV files for burning on audio CDs. This software has also a built-in MP3 wave player for playing MP3 or WAV songs.
- Mp3&Wav Converter – is software that completely converts audio from mp3 to wav, also wav to mp3 format. It converts the audio digitally and not through the sound card which enables perfect copies of the originals.
- FreeRIP – is an advanced CD to MP3 Converter that reads audio from CDs and allows them to be saved to the PC in a variety of digital formats including WMA, MP3, Ogg, Wav, or FLAC audio files (this process is known as CD ripping or CD to MP3 conversion). FreeRIP is also an audio and MP3 converter. It can convert MP3 and other audio files from one format to another including MP3 to WAV.
Things You Will Need
- PC with Internet access
- MP3 to WAV converter
- Hard disk space/memory
- MP3 files
- Download and install converter.
- Save MP3 files into a specific folder.
- Start conversion process and select MP3 files to be converted.
- Follow directions in the converter dialogue box to convert MP3 files to Wav.
- Select the output file extension wav and save changed files in an output folder.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Do not choose option to delete the source files unless you are sure the conversion process was successful, or if you do not wish to keep the files.