The Matroska Multimedia Container is a wide open standard free container format, a file format that can hold an unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks inside a single file. It serves as a universal format for storing common multimedia content, like movies or TV shows.
Matroska is similar in concept to other containers like AVI, MP4 or ASF, but is entirely open in specification, with implementations consisting mostly of open source software.
Matroska file types include: .MKV files (matroska video), .MKA files (matroska audio) and .MKS files (subtitles). A significant range of video player software support the playback of Matroska files, however, the proper decoders for the streams found in the files are often missing. MKV files contain video and audio streams and may also include subtitles. The streams are likely compressed and have been produced with an encoder. In order to play these streams a codec (coder/decoder) is needed.
Audio Video Interleave (AVI) is a typical case of the RIFF (Resource Interchange File Format) and is the most common format for audio/video data on the PC. MKV files can be easily converted to AVI with the use of specific conversion software that can be downloaded onto the PC.
Online converters include OJOsoft Video Converter which can also convert video between any other formats fast and easy. With its user friendly interface and fast speed it makes the conversion process quite simple. The Iskysoft Video Converter is the easiest way to convert MKV to AVI with MKV converter and add subtitle to MKV. Converted MKV videos can be watched on any media player like iPod, iPhone, PSP, Zune and Blackberry.
Things You Will Need
- MKV video
- MKV to AVI Converter
- Separated subtitle in srt format
- Computer with Internet access
- Hard drive with disk space
- Save MKV files in a specific folder.
- Download MKV to AVI conversion software to the PC.
- Install converter and run it.
- Choose the files to be converted; select and apply the required options for the conversion process.
- Once files are converted, save them in another specified folder.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP) is a codec pack with some commonly used video and audio codec’s. It is one of the more reliable codec packs around, with filters to decode most file formats, including flv, mkv, and ogm. To convert MKV files to other video formats, CCCP must be installed.
- Turn off screen saver to avoid slowing down the conversion process
- Close any other programs running in the background.
- Restart the computer just before running the converter.